Reflections Unheard: Black Women in Civil Rights has screened at various universities, festivals, and organizations both in the U.S. and internationally.
Several enlightening and educational discussions between the Director and audience have been facilitated, raising deeper awareness about the issues presented in the film, as well as the politics behind the filmmaking process. Please view our video and topics below to witness the wide array of discussion formats and topics the film has presented.
Topics Discussed Include:
- School Daze: Explore Nnaji’s experience as one of the few Black Female Students in her Film Program. Learn how meeting Spike Lee inspired her to become a filmmaker, and catapulted her into directing an award-winning feature film at the age of 22 with no prior experience!
- The Artists’ Way: The inspiration for this film was very personal. Nnaji goes in-depth about how her own self-discovery and personal challenges inspired an interest in the voices and stories of Black Feminists.
- Ownership of Black Imagery: The Archival footage included in Reflections Unheard is known to be one of the most provocative and engaging elements of the film. Explore how the Copyright challenges posed to Nnaji as a Black Woman Artist ultimately led to a process which shaped the film’s unique message and aesthetic.
- Empowerment: From the Power of being one’s Authentic Self, to becoming more Embodied–there are several ways to live radically and be a voice of change. Learn how Nnaji’s perspective on what it means to be an empowered woman has shifted and transformed dramatically from the time she first created Reflections Unheard.
- The Filmmaker’s Process: Learn the nitty-gritty details of how this film was created from scratch-from research, to production, to distribution and beyond!
And much more! We are always open to starting new and engaging conversations from hosts and audience members.
If you are interested in bringing Director Nnaji to your community in tandem with a Screening Event, please read our Screening Information Guide for further details about Program Offerings, Costs, and Basic Requirements.
Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you!